We welcome visitors with disabilities and those bringing pushchairs. If you need help with access, or have any questions, please let us know.
British Council Scotland is located in Waverley Gate, a modern office building on Waterloo Place in Edinburgh.
- Waverley train station is 320m away.
- The nearest bus stop is on Princes Street 330m away.
- The nearest tram stop is on St Andrew Square 480m away.
The nearest drop-off point is outside the main entrance to Waverley Gate
You can order an accessible taxi from City Cabs.
British Council Scotland does not have a car park.
The nearest public car park, Edinburgh Waverley Station (Long Stay) is 643m away. It is pay-and-display.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU ARRIVE
Step-free access to Waverley Gate is provided via the main entrance. The main door is accessible to wheelchair and pushchair users.
- There is a set of two steps leading up to the main entrance.
- The width of the main entrance door is 135cm.
- Wheelchair or pushchair access to the main entrance is via an access ramp.
- Assistance dogs are welcome.
INSIDE THE BUILDING
There is a customer service desk inside the main entrance. Staff at the desk can give you instructions on how to reach the British Council Scotland office which is on the fourth floor and can be reached via stairs or lift.
- The width of the lift doors is 110cm.
- There is a low-level customer service point that is suitable for visitors using wheelchairs.
- If you use a wheelchair, we will speak with you about a suitable emergency evacuation plan.
On the fourth floor there is an entrance to the British Council Scotland office reception. Entry is via an intercom. The width of the reception door is 170cm.
The British Council Scotland office is situated on one level on the fourth floor, with wide corridors accessible to visitors using wheelchairs.
There is a café on the ground floor.
- There are accessible meeting rooms in the British Council Scotland office.
LIFT AND STAIRS
You can reach the fourth floor by lift or stairs.
- The lift is a passenger lift.
- The lift door width is 110cm and the buttons are within 90cm of the floor.
- The lift has Braille buttons.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The stairs have a handrail on each side.
Please contact us before your visit if you think the lift will be unsuitable for you so that we can make alternative arrangements.
Accessible toilets are available on all floors of the building and are suitable for people using wheelchairs. The width of the doors is 92cm and they open inwards.